Wednesday, January 14, 2009

RE: Total Health Makeover

I have a modest goal. To be healthier in January 2010 than I am right now. I'm not setting exact metrics for this, but I just want to be more proactive about my general health and make better decisions - maybe not all of the time, but more often than I currently do. Which shouldn't exactly be a stretch, if you know what I'm saying. (What? You drank 4 out of the past 5 days? You ate leftover pizza at 11:00 PM? You sit on your ginormous butt for a living?)

Since my last update on 2009 goals, I've outlined a basic two-part plan: Part I - hire a team of experts. (After all, I didn't go to college for eleventy-seven years. Or even get a grad degree. I'm not even that great at describing the difference between a tibia and fibula, ok?) Part II - get off my ass and do better.

Here's my progress on Part I:

1. Get a specialist to check out my knee. Check. (Including the subsequent 6 weeks of physical therapy. Ok, I got a head start on this one in November.)

2. Get back to the dentist for a checkup. Check. (Filling in February. Frown.)

3. Go back to the dentist for regular cleanings/ checkups. (August)

4. Get my annual physical. (May-June)

5. Go to a nutritionist and make a plan. (Scheduled for next Thursday)


Here's my progress on Part II:

1. Keep up with exercises at home to improve my knee and keep out of Physical Therapy. Not so much.

2. Start jogging again (my doc says it's OK)/ taking the dog on longer walks/ Do yoga at home or Wii Fit when the weather isn't cooperating. Not so much.

3. Eat better. I'm doing much better during the day at work. I'm downright disgraceful at home/ out and about. I guess I could be doing worse.

4. Floss EVERY day (not just most days). So far, pretty dern good.

No comments: