The Must List:
These books are non-negotiable. I’m not saying nothing is missing from this list. These are just some books I have read that I believe should be read by just about everyone at least once:
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (best opening paragraph ever)
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodr Dostoevsky
Native Son by Richard Wright
The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Éxupery
What is the What by Dave Eggers
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S. Lewis
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Some Favorites I Highly Recommend
Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Matilda by Roald Dahl
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
The Stranger by Albert Camus
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Cash: The Autobiography by Johnny Cash
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger (I’ll take this over Catcher in the Rye ANY day.)
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Only read this after you have read at least 2 of his other books.)
No comments:
Post a Comment