Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Re: Personal Broadcasting

I find myself wavering between two general feelings about social networking (which I'm writing about on a public blog, I know...)

1. Keep it close to the vest. Blogging, Tweeting, Facebooking, etc are narcissistic and unnecessary. And ultimately, boring.

2. If you feel like getting it out, get it out.

I seem to be on a huge upswing of the latter. I'm tweeting, facebooking, myspacing and blogging. Sometimes simultaneously using ping.fm via an iPhone application known as Pingle. Part of it is wanting to share experiences of my day and get feedback and encouragement from others. Part of it is that the technology is sort of fun.

I don't know how I really feel about this. I suspect a little of both, and I just go with whatever mood I'm in. Thoughts? Anyone think I should worry that all this social networking will come back to haunt me one day? All two of my readers have access to my updates on one if not all of these platforms, so you can pretty safely judge that.

2 comments:

Ashley, Brooklyn Girl said...

All social networking is most certainly narcissistic. Having said that any social interaction, online or otherwise can be so, too. For me, its more a matter of how much of my life I wish to broadcast. If I choose to be private about something, I will be. But more often than not, writing about intensely personal things is a necessary release for me. If someone chooses not to read what I write, then fine. As for things coming back to haunt me, I'm certain they will and I can accept that.

BethP said...

I vacillate between the two myself. I always feel awkward after I post on facebook or post on my blog. However, the occasional venting of my spleen is very cathartic!